Pages

March 2, 2012

lemon crinkle cookies


If I remember correctly, the saying goes something like, "I hate when I'm making a milkshake and all the boys show up in the yard." I believe this is doubly true when making cookies. Once these glorious things were out of the oven, I had to work hard keeping my little brothers away! 


You are now warned, these cookies are dangerous. I found the recipe via Pinterest a few days ago: the prizewinning cookie of some undoubtedly famous contest, Lemon Crinkle Cookies! They were praised as being the chewiest and most delicious cookies, so of course I needed to test for myself and see if they were all that. No further discussion needed - they were definitely all that! I'm the type of person who likes soft and chewy cookies (no crispy ones for me, thank you very much!) and I thoroughly enjoyed these. They are sweet and buttery with a nice lemon flavor that makes you think of afternoon tea. (Since I didn't have any lemons, t actually used bergamots: citrus fruits that are similar but not quite so strong.) It was hard to keep from gobbling all the batter down, too! Gotta love cookie dough.









My mom thought I was a little nuts, taking so many pictures of food. But without further ado, ze recipe!

(makes 2-3 dozen)

Ingredients:
1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease light-colored baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly until just combined, excluding the powdered sugar. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly.

Pour powdered sugar into a bowl or onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 9-11* minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not melty or shiny). Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Sprinkle more powdered sugar on top if desired.

Enjoy! Try not to eat them all at once. :) 

*If using a dark baking tray, reduce baking time by about 2 minutes.



These are definitely one of my favorites now. Hope you like them as much as I did! 


No comments:

Post a Comment